Monday, December 21, 2009

Meet Urban Lit Drama Queen Nique Roberson!


Katrina 'Nique' Roberson fell in love with words at an early age. As early as age two, she could be found sitting on the couch 'reading' books and newspapers.  Soon, she developed a passion for books, music, movies and writing; she authored her first short story in the third grade and penned her first song in the 4th grade. She knew how popular soundtracks were for movies and wanted to dip her hand in as many pots as possible.

Before middle school, classmates were literally on waiting lists to read Nique's writings, which were far more mature than her years. Filled with drama and sex, students read the stories under desks and in corners for fear of being caught reading explicit, but captivating, materials. 

Nique studied English throughout high school and college and took as many creative writing courses as possible to hone the craft she grew to love.  Her passion for writing has continued and she is currently preparing her next book for publication.
Tatted On My Neck is Nique's 8th completed novel, but 1st published work.  Formerly a resident of California, she now lives with her husband and their three children in the Midwest.


I have been in love with words for as long as I can remember.  I don't think I ever decided to become an author...I've always loved to write and I've always loved to hear, read, and tell stories.  I've always taken English classes as a hobby, with creative writing being my favorite course in high school, college.  I buy lots of self-help manuals that help with the technique of writing.  I enjoy reading them, and I re-read them as a past-time.  I decided to publish though, just because i wanted to share my stories with others. My genre is urban lit, street lit, romance, a bit of erotica and family saga.

Some of my favorite authors are: Toni Morrison, Terry McMillan, T.Styles, Nikki Turner, Deja King.  Triple Crown are some of my favorite books.

I'm hoping that my stories entertain and uplift people that I can add to the legacy of this genre

A tip I would give new authors is mainly, don't ever give up, no matter how long you've been writing or how hard it gets.  I almost gave up too many times.  Also, research, research, research.  Whether you are self-publishing or being picked up by a major publishing house, find out as much as you can about every aspect of the business, even things you don't think you need to know.  Like ISBN numbers. I thought I did my homework, but I didn't dig deep enough.  Now, I'm paying the price.  Literally. 

As an author, I have learned that one you should believe in yourself and your abilities.  And, everything I said above to new authors.  I'm really paying for not doing my research, and I'm going into the hole more than I'm making a profit.  But I feel blessed that I'm learning these lessons fast and early, thanks to many loving and supportive authors giving me advice.

You can find my work at Authorhouse.com, Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com, and for a limited time, from me directly through PayPal. My email is KymeraTrinique@yahoo.com and you can find me on my FaceBook fanpage, Nique Roberson.

Nique thank you for taking the time to share your work with us. We wish you much continued success! ~~Literary Wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment