Wednesday, July 31, 2013

REVIEW: The Forbidden Secrets of the Goody Box by Valerie Lewis Coleman


Date:                7/28/13
Title:                The Forbidden Secrets of the Goody Box
Author:              Valerie J. Lewis Coleman
ISBN 13:            978-0-9786066-3-3
Pages:               285
Publisher:           Pen of the Writer
Cover:               Paperback
Rating:              4 Stars


Debra Hampton always tends to find love in all the wrong place. Part of her
problem is that she gives too much to a man, too soon, and is left wondering why things didn’t work out. I must say that I absolutely loved this book. I actually played the manuscript through my head as I read it quickly within a few hours. This book definitely should be converted to a movie. There is no doubt that it will be a hit at the box office for the right crowd. I love how Debra goes through the book along with the guidance of her coach Doc Reed.

I almost gave this book five stars right until the end. However, I was left confused. Although there are supporting characters, one would go into this book thinking Debra was the main character as I did. However, the book ended focused on one of the supporting characters Rachel, who is contemplating cheating on her husband. Another thing that had me puzzled was that Doc Reed was supposed to be married with children. Although he gave good advice and helped Debra through her issues, it seemed like as much time he spent coaching Debra, I was sure the two would get together and had to second-guess if he really had a wife.


The scenarios in this book were real world scenarios and the title may otherwise cause some to think this book was about sex. However, this book wasn’t about sex—not exactly. In my opinion, it was about empowering women to stop allowing themselves to be a doormat and giving their “Goody Box” to people who didn’t deserve it. The reading group guide is an excellent addition. Kudos to the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment