Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Author Amanda M. Thrasher

Bio
My name is Amanda M. Thrasher. I live in Fort Worth, Texas, and have for most of my adult life. I was born in England, but moved to the states when I was a teenager, quite the cultural shock, but I adjusted well, or at least I'd like to think so. I worked in sales for many years, though once I left the office to concentrate on the children; I worked from home on behalf of the company I was employed with. Writing was and is something I enjoy, so it was never work...it was and is my outlet.

Genre
I am able to switch between children's pieces such as easy readers, novels and adult works, though, Mischief is my first release. My adult novel, though about 100k words in, I am still writing. The children's pieces tend to take priority, I have both fantasy and gentle, easy readers. All of my pieces have subtle life lessons throughout the story, but the gentle life lessons never overshadow the stories themselves.

Synopsis
Lilly and Boris are two young fairies who carelessly leave their home without permission in Mischief in the Mushroom Patch.  Lilly and Boris have always taken their magical fairy dust for granted, but after they are caught breaking some of their colony's most important rules, they get an education they will never forget!

As punishment for putting the colony in danger and wasting their most precious commodity, Lilly and Boris are sent to work for a few days in the magnificent, secluded dust factory.

At the factory, the two young fairies learn each step in the process that transforms ordinary rocks into the most magical substance in the world and learn a very valuable lesson indeed.

Titles of all your books:
Mischief in the Mushroom Patch, first release
Other finished titles, not yet submitted: 
T.J. Cleans the Club House
T.J. Tends a Garden
Mommy, My Tummy Hurts!
Chloe's Smiley Mask is a Perfect Fit
Bruised Ego, Sore Bottom!
Works in progress:   Mischief in the Mushroom Patch... Lilly are you there?
Adult Novel: (Title/ separate from children's works).
Poetry for fun:    Many but often personal

What made you decide to become an author?

I didn't really decide to become an author, I love words, I always have. I truly am one of those people who love to write, and will write whether I am in print or not. What 'made' me submit my work, was a request by my mother, who was ill and since passed. It was the ultimate way to honor her, to do as she asked, send in my pieces and see where it led. Her words, "Amanda, you always write and never send in your work, you need to send in your stories, for your girls," and, so I did.

What I do enjoy most about being an author interesting question:

I believe for me, it appears to validate to some degree what I do. Though to me, I still loved my work, no matter what, for some reason to others, it now means more. However finding the time to write is the most fulfilling and rewarding part of being an author, that I  do and always will enjoy. I must say, I had for the first time, a little girl and a little boy on two separate occasions, tell me they loved Mischief, and couldn't put it down....that, was reward enough.

If I could meet one author, who would it be?

Well for me it's easy, though impossible. It would without question be Jane Austen... "I know what?" of all the authors...why, so old...I love her work, still. To me, she was very witty, especially in her day. Her descriptive regarding human nature and behavior are amusing to me, the hopeless romantic in me, well I guess, I will always love Sense and Sensibility the best, Willoughby, you scoundrel!

How are you giving back?

 Since writing gave me such joy as a child, both as a hobby and an outlet, I am trying very hard to find new ways for our children to experience the 'fun' of creating / writing for no other reason than they can. I recently took this idea to the District Executive Director of my local YMCA, because they have a large after school program at several of our local schools. We set up a competition, a creative writing and art competition. I visited four schools, and shared the beginnings of Mischief, the rawest beginnings, the sketches of my cover, and  read excerpts from my book. We then asked the children if they wanted to participate in the competition, on their own time. They could choose any topic they wanted to write about, the little ones could color my book cover sketch, the older artists created originals. Barnes & Nobles, sponsored the winners books, they purchase 12 Mischief in the Mushroom Patch, books for the little winners.  We had over 50 entries...it was amazing. At the same time, we promoted the Step Up For Kids Scholarship Program, this is a great program!

Next we will take this creative writing and art competition program, to the middle schools and the summer camp that the Ryan YMCA hosts. The children were incredible, and though there were mostly artists amongst the works, there were more than a handful short stories, which were amazing.

Give one tip to new authors.

Work hard to promote your work. Don't sit back and wait for someone else to control what happens to your piece, especially if you are with small press, for no other reason than marketing budgets are small, and resources are limited, therefore team effort is mandatory.

Biggest lesson learned, since becoming an author.

The work has just begun.

What is the one thing that irks you about the literary industry?

Good work can be lost amongst mountains of sludge or never noticed without a great agent.

Who, what, when, or where is your next event?

March 31st - Harmony Science Academy
April 13th - a.m. - Barnes and Noble - The Parks at Arlington Academy
April 13th - p.m. - Arlington Classics Academy
May 7th - Barnes and Noble - The Parks at Arlington Academy 
May 8th - Barnes and Noble - Plano, TX
May 25th - 27th - Javits Convention Center - Book Expo (BEA) - New York, NY           

Preferred literary service:

       Though my press is considered small press, STB publishing group, did cover my productions costs. I'm pretty sure this is done on an individual basis based on each submitted manuscript, since they do have a completely separate self publishing department for those that choose to go that route. One of their mandatory requirements is and should be editing, they will not print any unedited work, and they shouldn't. I don't know how editing works in regards to the self publish side. What I can say, I have learned, that editing is an incredibly important tool in the entire process, and it should be mandatory. Hopefully you will get a good editor, which is typically out of our hands, as writers. But I have learned that editing, should assist, but never change the voice of your work ever. Your work is yours, and your voice should always be heard throughout. The editor’s job is essential, but not in changing the creativity of the work you produce, but to assist in making it flow a tad better if necessary, correct grammatical errors etc., give direction maybe....but not rewrite, change your voice or change work. So to answer the question, I truly believe that any work considered for publication, via  a press large, midsized or small, or self publish, is doing themselves a disservice if edit is not a mandatory step and I can only imagine the author/writer would expect it as well.

Where can reader find my work:

Mischief in the Mushroom Patch, can be found at the following locations:

Barnes and Noble.com, Amazon.com, and Barnes & Noble, 4801 Overton Ridge Blvd. Fort Worth, TX 76132, from my soon to be live website, www.amandathrasher.com, and it is on the shelf for test, at: Book Woman, 5501 N. Lamar Blvd. #A-105
It is about to go to two other stores for review, I will keep you posted if they put the title on their shelf for 'test' sales.

Contact
Amanda M. Thrasher
Fort Worth, TX
Soon to be live: www.amandathrasher.com


Publisher:
Strategic Book Group
845 Third Avenue, 6th floor
New York, NY 10022

REVIEW


Date:                         March 4, 2010
Title:                         Mischief in the Mushroom Patch
Author:                     Amanda M. Thrasher
ISBN 10:                  
ISBN 13:                   978-1-60860-722-8
Pages:                      167
Publisher:                 Strategic Publishing Group
Cover:                       Hardcover
Reviewer:                 Yolanda M, Johnson-Bryant– 
                                      Literary Wonders! (www.literarywonders.com)
Rating:                        4 Stars


            Children’s author Amanda M. Thrasher has crafted the story of Boris and Lily. Boris and Lily aren’t your typical children – they are fairies in training. But like most small children, Boris and Lilly are definitely mischievous.
In Mischief in the Mushroom Patch, Boris and Lilly find themselves in a world of trouble as they venture out of the mushroom patch against fairy rules. When children misbehave they must face the consequences and that’s exactly what happens to Boris and Lilly. Mademoiselle Francesca sentences the two mischievous fairlings to the dusting factory where they will assist the dust fairies.
During their tenure, Boris and Lilly learn the importance of following rules and the hastiness of waste. In addition to a valuable lesson learned, the small fairlings are enamored with the production of fairy dust and its uses.
Amanda M. Thrasher makes Mischief in the Mushroom Patch easy to read for even the smallest of children but keeps the interest of even the eldest. I found these fairies, although, amusingly mischievous, to be the most polite of children I’ve ever read about.  . 

2 comments:

  1. i think its a great short story for both adults and children alike. comparable to the lion king or sometthing like that, where both the children and the parents are entertained. and iam looking forward to amandas next story. well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thank you so very much for your kind words, (wayner), I appreciate your comments." Fairy Kick a Berry, Game On! will be released by Christmas...it is truly lovely. Lilly, Boris & Jack will be there.
    On another note, Thank you Yolanda, for all the work you do!"
    Amanda M. Thrasher

    ReplyDelete