Friday, March 19, 2010

Author Markeise Q. Washington



Bio

Born November 21, 1984 in South Philadelphia, PA, Markeise Q. Washington has been writing since he was ten years old. In late 2006 his literary journey began when he starting penning his debut novel "Entrepreneur". With his mind set on ownership, 5ive Star Publications was born in May 2007. His goal was to cover all genres of fiction as well as children's literature.

Destined and encouraged to do great things Markeise is constantly reminded of the early and unfortunate passing of his biological mother whom is indeed the catalyst to his success. Proactive, determined, thought provoking and intelligent Markeise Q. Washington will always and forever remind us that Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions.

What genre do you consider yourself?

I consider myself just fiction period.


Give us a synopsis of your most recent book in 3 paragraphs or less.

Swift is a college graduate determined to establish himself in Corporate America. Everyone from his school teachers to his mother has been skeptical of his goals. When he receives his degree he thinks he’s prepared for the real world. He soon finds it difficult to match jobs with his degree. After his frustrations reach a boiling point he turns to the streets for guidance. Swift’s best friend Block was the most feared and respected hustler in Philly. When Swift's dilemma brings their combined efforts together, they both see opportunity. Swift is convinced that he can make enough start up money for his business ideas. His plan was to build capital and leave the drug game alone. However that is derailed when Block is incarcerated. The taste of money and power takes Swift for the ride of his life. Soon the underworld looks to him to pick up where Block left off. With cops, rival drug dealers, and stick up kids lurking, Swift is forced to show how much of an "Entrepreneur" he really is.


Titles of all of your books.

Right now I have Entrepreneur 1 and 2 done which are due in stores March 2010. I have several other books slated for future release. There is A Father’s Struggle and I’m also putting the finishing touches on Entrepreneur 3 to wrap up the trilogy. I’m not sure when they are dropping, but I’m near finishing both of them. In addition to that I will be working on a short story series that is going to be posted via www.5ivestarpublications.com and various social networks.


What made you... decide to become an author?

I guess it was knowing that I had a great imagination and wanting to express myself through writing. I thought I was talented enough to do so and decided that it was time to do it.


What do you enjoy most about being an author?
I enjoy being able to entertain readers or that I put a smile on someone’s face because they enjoyed my work. I like the fact that my son can say that my daddy wrote those books. Nothing matches that feeling.


If you could meet one author, who would it be?

That’s easy. It would be Vickie Stringer. She has opened so many doors for us as AA authors. Her story gives me inspiration. She has a brand and I hope to have that recognition one day as well. I know through hard work it will come and I’m ready for it.


How are you giving back to the literary community?

I think giving the literary community great stories is a form of giving. I hope to give hope to an aspiring author that they can do anything in this game with the correct mindset and support system.


Give one tip you would give new authors?

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Gather as much information as you can. Coming into a publishing situation prepared will make your experience a pleasant one! I had high expectations when I first decided to publish through a P.O.D. publisher. I learned so many things from a bad situation. I’m better for it as an author and a publisher. Now the outcome is on me and I like it that way. Last but not least independent publishing is not the easy way out because we have to work that much harder to get noticed. Know that if you go that route be prepared to do EVERYTHING.



What is the biggest lesson you've learned since becoming an author?

The biggest thing is that no one is going to offer you information. The important things I learned, I learned them through research and hard work.


What is the one thing that irks you about the literary industry?

Wow. Great question. I think that sometimes as AA authors we are divided and it is unfortunate. I always say a well known author once was unknown and needed help and guidance. I think we need to help each come up and we don’t do that enough in my opinion.


Who, What, When and Where is your next event?

I am planning a nationwide tour for later on this year. But my next event will be posted on my company’s website: www.5ivestarpublications.com. I will be posting that type of information more frequently.



Suggest a preferred literary service.

I enjoy publishing other author’s work as well as helping them market their work. I think it’s because I know exactly how they may feel and what they are going through as an independent author starting my own company from the ground up.


Where can readers find your work?

My hope is that you can walk into any bookstore and see my book on the shelf. Now hopefully my distributors can see my vision because I’m going to put the word out there. Remember readers when you go to your local store request books by M.Q.W.!


Contact info

I can be contacted at mqw@5ivestarpublications, twitter.com/authormqw, and Facebook as well. I answer all emails and look forward to hearing from readers.


1 comment: