Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Author Dorothy Lee

BIO
My name is Dorothy Lee born and raised in England came to the USA in 1974 where I finished schooling in California.  I always had a fantasy type mind ever since child hood and now have the opportunity to express it through my writing.    

What genre do you consider yourself?
Romance and children's fantasy are my favorite genres.

Give us a synopsis of your most recent book in 3 paragraphs or less.
Synopsis of my published book titled *No Adults Allowed* is about a boy who loves to read. In this book he goes on different adventures; meeting little people who are very angry due to the Kings rule. He and his friend do some surprising things to get rid of this terrible King who does not care about anything but himself. The King definitely gets his reward for being such a bad King, the boys became the little people's heroes and this is the end of this story. The next story is another adventure he reads about; a couple of boys from the Elizabethan century finds this board game called the Wishing Well, they would sneak down to this off limits magical basement and play the game...they had to be very careful what they wished for. The boys met a family of fierce looking but friendly dragons that shows them an underworld of beautiful sea creatures in all colours that glow, they also go into the future and rides on a flying skateboard.


Titles of all of your books:
*No Adults Allowed* is the only published book and in the process of writing a romance/betrayal novel.


What made you decide to become an author?
I have always loved to put my imagination down on paper when I was in school, so when the thought hit me one day I started typing at the computer and I birthed *No Adults Allowed* for children.


What do you enjoy most about being an author?
What I enjoy about being an author is the story telling, being creative and seeing my finished product in print.


If you could meet one author, who would it be?
I think that would be Ray Bradbury as the author I would love to meet, why? I saw him in an interview and the easy way he talked and was very personable.   I like the fact that he told his class to love what you do (writing) and to write what you want to write and  not write someone else's vision. He went on to say, love life to the fullest, this is what made me like the thought of being under his tutelage and to meet him.


How are you giving back to the literary community?
As far as giving back to the community I haven't had that privilege as of yet but when the opportunity comes my way whether it's time or *money (*which has not been earned yet) I'll gladly contribute.



Give one tip you would give new authors?
Well, as a new comer myself I'd have to say the best tip I can give would be; writers block… just write anything down it may sound ludicrous but you will be surprised at what you can do with it...you'll go back and re-write till it becomes part of the story, you will then not have writers block anymore because you're too busy re-writing and adding more to your script.


What is the biggest lesson you've learned since becoming an author?
Wow! Biggest lesson; I would have to say, is to go with a Traditional Publisher rather than a Self Publisher you can spend thousands of dollars with a Self-Publishing Co. that the average writer can't afford.


What is the one thing that irks you about the literary industry?
What makes me irritated about the writing industry is that some books are passed over due to not having enough man power.


Who, What, When and Where is your next event?
At the Los Angeles Times Book Festival (LABF) on April 24th - 25th @ 10 am - 6 pm. Saturday and Sunday @ 10 a.m. – 5 pm with my book; *No Adults Allowed* by Dorothy Lee.


Suggest a preferred literary service.
I would have to say as far as referring a service it would be editing through Xlibris I think they did a great job.

Where can readers find your work?
My work can be found with online retailers most popular is Barns & Nobles, Borders marketing and Amazon as well as your local book stores plus internationally.


Contact info 
sparkleuniverse@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment