Friday, December 25, 2009

Author and Pioneer Donna Hill


My writing career began in 1987 with the short story "The Long Walk." My first novel was published in 1990. Since that time I have more than 60 titles in print.  Three of which were adapted for television. I'm a born and bred Brooklynite who loves to travel and return to her family and her neighborhood.

I was always a reader since I was 4-5 years old. Writing, I guess, was a natural progression.  My love for storytelling, and creating grew until it became boundless.  There are so many stories to be told and my passion is to be one of those amazing storytellers.  My genre is women’s fiction.

Some of my favorite authors include Carleen Brice, Bernice McFadden, James Patterson, Stephen L. Carter, Patricia Cornwell, Marita Golden and Toni Morrison



For the past two years I have been teaching a Memoir Writing Class to seniors at the neighborhood church.  It is a program that is sponsored through Poets and Writers and Medgar Evers College.  I also offer mentoring to aspiring writers.


One tip I would give new and aspiring writers is to plan your career beyond your first book.  You must decide that being an author is what you want to do because it is your passion, not to be rich, famous or have your book on the shelves.  Writing is an art. Study the art form. And when done well a writer can produce masterpieces.

My next major event will be in March 2010 with the release of WHAT MOTHER NEVER TOLD ME, the sequel to RHTYHMS and the anniversary of my 20th year in publishing


Since becoming an author, I’ve learned that writing, in addition to it being an art form, is a business--at least if you intend to stay in it.  Manage your finances well and from the beginning. 


All of my novels can be found in any major bookstore, independent bookstore as well as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, Wal-Mart.
 
Please visit me on the web at donnahill.com.

Donna’s preferred literary business is Simply Said Accessories. I love "Simply Said Reading Accessories" They are the best and I use them for all of my releases.



Donna we know that you are busy, so we truly thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share with us. You are truly a pioneer in the literary industry and we look forward to more and more of your good writing! ~~Literary Wonders!

1 comment:

  1. Donna, Thank you for mentioning my writing! 20 years published!!! That is an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete